My sweet friend Nancy called me.
“Charma, I have a cabinet in my bathroom. It’s ugly and needs to be painted. Can you help me?”
Of course I said yes.
I said yes before I knew what it was
I said yes before I knew if it was paintable. Everything is paintable.
I just said yes
I should have taken it in it’s original place but of course I forgot.
It wasn’t bad.
It’s dated and could use a facelift but really not bad.
I asked my normal questions
What do you want it to look like?
What color do you want it to be?
What paint sheen do you want? Semi gloss? Satin? Chalk paint?
Do you like the distressed look?
Sometimes they know exactly what they want and sometimes there’s the look……
You know, a little confused.
Pictures are important. Some people are visual…….like me! I need to see it to know if I like it. Pinterest is sometimes necessary.
My bestie is so smart. Sometimes she rattles on about engineering nonsense that I can’t begin to understand. One evening she was rambling about something technical and I looked at her and said “Becky, did you know that if you mix regular paint with calcium carobonate it makes chalk paint?” She looked at me like I had three heads and then gave me a high five. We laughed. Her language is not always my language and visa verse but that’s why we are all so unique. Different strokes. I love it
Ok. Back to the cabinet
My friend said “Charma, I want you to paint it as if it were going in your house.”
Well ok! I can do that!
I picked it up.
I realized it was made of pressed wood. Now most think it isn’t paintable but it is!
Remove the drawers
Take off the hardware
Yes you even sand pressed wood
Yes you always prime. I promise you won’t be disappointed
I mixed up some white chalk paint (the pre-mixed stuff is really nice but gosh does it hurt my wallet.)
Paint. This cabinet took 3 coats. Most do the time 2 will do but you just play it by ear.
Chalk paint feels rough and dry but sandpaper makes it feel smooth and fabulous.
Wax and you are done.
It’s like a miracle
I wanted new hardware but I took the chance of just painting the originals. It worked!
I painted them with the same chalk paint and then just sanded them smooth.
Just a little rub here and a rub there.
There might have even been a pointy screwdriver used in the grooves in the back wall.
We are heading to Georgia this weekend to pick up a new member of our fleet. Excited!!!!